Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Response to Chapter 9

Visualizing with technology is definitely something that I do on a daily basis. With the internet at the tip of my fingertips, at any second, whenever I am in doubt of something or wondering about something there is the power of Google. And with Google comes the power of Google Images. Although this simple example deals with literal visual aids, technologies can be used to help in visualizing in my subjects and contents to enhance education and teaching. This chapter dealt with five different visualization tools: science and math visualization tools, digital cameras, mobile phones, and video productions, modeling and feedback. Some of the elements of the chapter including the mathematical and scientific sections got very specific and content specialized and however helpful these tools may be, I think that they are far too advanced for an elementary classroom. For example, the chemistry visualization tools dealing with molecules would be far over an elementary student’s head. I was able to pull some useful suggestions out of that suggestion but most of what I liked came from the sections dealing with cell phones, digital cameras, and video camcorders.

My favorite visualization tool that I pulled out of the content technologies section dealt with visualizing geography with Geographic Information Systems. As soon as I heard this topic, I instantly again thought of ole faithful…Google. Google Earth is a great tool that can and SHOULD be incorporated into elementary classrooms. From simple first day of school introductory activities to detailed map and geography lessons can all utilize such a program. For example, the activity that we did in class during one of the first few weeks using the promethean board where we put a flag on a place where we could find the weather. Instead of doing that, we could get a world map and have students put a flag where their ancestors were from or where they were born to establish better community amongst the class by getting to know each other better. Also, other more in-depth lessons could be taught using such a program. For example, students could be assigned a report on a country or certain region and could flag and tag certain cities and areas to use as a way of highlighting when presenting to the class. Google Maps is extremely easy to use and a valuable asset. In addition to Google Maps, the internet holds a vast majority of various geography and map technologies that can be used within the elementary curriculum. For example, I really like the idea of using the database that connects to the US Census Bureau. This could be used as in an interdisciplinary lesson where students could do estimations in math while using geographical data. Students could estimate population growth in certain areas based on current population size and past growth trends. These are just a few ideas but many things are possible with geography and the internet!

Although I was not a huge fan of the mathematical visualization section, I did like the idea of creating interactive and accessible graphs. I found a really fun and useful website that is safe for young students and I would definitely use within my future classroom. I have tagged it under EME4401 and graphs.

http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createAgraph/default.aspx

This is a website where students can create 5 different kinds of graphs including, bars, lines, pie, area, and XY. There is also a “creating a graph tutorial” that students can choose to go through if they cannot decide what kind of graph would best suit their needs. There are many different options, and once you finally choose the graph that you want you can customize it to fit the data’s specific needs. Also, it can be customized to suit the student as well. After completion, the student has the choice to download, print, save, embed or email. I really like the last 2 features because students could post it to their classroom blogs or learning logs. This is just one site that I found that could be a really convenient and helpful tool within any elementary math curriculum.

Moving on to my favorite sections of the text. Digital cameras are probably my favorite toy. I love to take pictures and to edit them. Pictures are viewed as a way that we as humans express ourselves and students love any chance they get to express who they are. Therefore, I believe that allowing students to use digital cameras to give us a glimpse out how they view the world is not only fun but a privilege. Fun activities that introduce us to the student’s lives can be used. For example, students can do a photo scavenger from their home life to give others a view into who they are. The teacher could create a list of things like, your favorite place in your house, your favorite toy, a place where the family spends time. The students could each take pictures of these things and make a collage to share with the class or post on a bulletin board or even a blog. For a more content specific project, students could use digital cameras to do a book report. For example, instead of just handing in a report the students could create a photo slide show using any of the programs that we learned about in the writing with technologies section and give an oral presentation that goes along with the pictures. Allowing the visuals to guide assignments will not only make assignments more fun and relative to students, but more aesthetically pleasing and helpful for visual learners. Also, it is important to note the benefits that come with the visual aspects of technology of English Language Learners. Anytime text or speech is accompanied by related visuals, things are going to be simpler to process for ELL’s. The double benefit in using these types of technologies makes them very worth trying.

Moving on to cell phones. I have always had the fear that with the popularity and advancement of cell phones they would overtake the classroom. However, I am now beginning to embrace the idea. I think that if we can integrate cell phones into the curriculum students are going to be more excited and probably more engaged because of how relevant it is to their lives. I really liked the example we used in class where we had to text someone far away and find out the weather. We could start out a science lesson that way showing how different areas of the nation or world experience various weather patterns at various times. Also, with cell phones advancing everyday and most having internet access, they are basically handheld computers. This could extremely help school budgets. If cell phones with internet access become so commonplace that every student has one then a huge expense will be cut from schools. Every student with individual internet access on their own “personalized computer” would allow for endless possibilities. Teachers would have to worry less about supplying computers for every child and could assign more expansive technological assignments. Something else that shocked me that I recently found out deals with matters here at the university. I was shocked to find out that the college of pharmacy requires its students to have an Iphone. I understand that at the collegiate level they can expect and require more from students but I also think that it is a great idea. I heard that the main reasoning for it is because they are beginning to do most of their lectures and seminars and modules through podcasts. I would be more interested to hear how this works and if it is truly beneficial and effective in the future.

Finally, looking to visualizing with videos. I have always been amazed by video and video editing. Part of the reason that I would like to get a Mac in the future deals with all of the video and editing features that come with their operating systems. Students can use video camcorders in a variety of ways within the elementary curriculum. I could make a long list simply based off of what we have done in this class. For example, instead of book reports, book commercials, short films on basic topics, video podcasts, the list is truly endless. Today when I was looking at podcasts within the Florida Department of Education I found one where students created a video exemplifying the different states of matter and how their molecules move. Also, students at this age love to see themselves and watch their peers as well. I believe that using this digital media would engage students heavily. Another lesson idea would be to have students create a digital yearbook. This would not only be a fun idea but something that the students could help create and cherish. Another idea would be to create a heritage video. Students could research their heritage and then create a short film about the area that their families are from and what those cultures and heritages look like. All of the short films could then be compiled to become somewhat of a video encyclopedia. Again these are just a few ideas but the opportunities are endless with a little creativity.

I feel as though editing may be extremely advanced for students in the early elementary grades. However I do felt that they could definitely assist in the cutting and editing, but I do not think it is something that they could do on their own. It is definitely something that they would need to develop over years of practice. It may even be helpful in the upper grades, like 5th, to spend some class time on simple editing programs if it is something that seems to be being heavily used within the rest of their education. On a personal note, I would love to learn more about editing and various editing programs. As cheesy as it sounds, I want to be able to make really great home videos someday. One of my close friends majored in telecommunications here at UF and she is a master at videos and editing. She has such an eye for it and has made some incredible videos. Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JoN_uExhqA

I am involved in an organization on campus, Campus Crusade for Christ, and this past summer we made a revamp of the Thriller video to announce who our new emcees for the year would be. I was there for the shoot and some of the editing. You would never know that the video took us 5 hours to shoot and that we only had one camera. I never think that I will be to this expertise but I do hope someday to be more competent with editing programs.

Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this chapter. I am very much a visual learner and love the idea of visualizing with technologies. Again, I am unsure of how some of the programs introduced in the very beginning are valuable to elementary educators. I was wondering, does anyone have any valuable ideas for how to integrate those into the elementary classroom?

6 comments:

  1. I agree, I was kind of unsure of how on earth I would integrate these tools in an elementary classroom. I'm sorry, couldn't think of anything for the Chemistry tools (because let's face it students barely touch that subject until maybe middle school). But I did have a good idea or two (if you want to check out my blog). To sum it up, I had the idea to use Google Earth as a "project" integrating geography, history, and maybe even art. Students would pick a random place, look at it through Google Earth, research the history, then at the end make their own "map" that is used as their presentation tool to tell the students what they have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess!
    I really enjoyed reading your reflection. I agree with you on integrating the chemistry and some of the math tools in an elementary classroom. I really don't know how we, as elementary teachers, could use these to help our students. Your idea of allowing students to create a video on their heritage was really neat. This is a great way for students to learn about their background and work with technology. Great reflection! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked this chapter- it might because I understood what was discussed in the chapter. :) I love your suggestions for digital videos in the classroom. Creating a video encyclopedia is a great idea! I might just have to "borrow" this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this chapter too. I think I enjoyed it the most because for once, it was relatable. lol. I will definetly use these types of programs in my classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also embracing the idea of cell phones in the classroom. If we want to integrate what our students interests into the classroom then we cannot keep resisting cell phones. The immediate connection it provides us to one another can help in data collection, long distance communication and various other things can most definitely be used to enhance our curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess,
    Great Reflection! I also think that using digital cameras in the classroom is a great way to incorporate technology. I love your suggestion of doing a picture scavenger hunt!

    ReplyDelete